Travel Tic-Tac-Toe


Today's craft is a travel Tic-Tac-Toe board. In full transparency, I bought this kit over a year ago from Nook & Cranny.  They are great and I highly recommend them. They offered this limited time kit for a great price, especially if you just want to make one and don't want a bunch of supplies left over. But I realized when making it that if you can get a few friends together for a party, you can totally re-create this project for $5-$8 depending on what supplies you have on hand and if you want to include the carrying bag.

You can get a 6 foot, 8x1" plank at the big box stores for less than $10.  You can get around 5 board from it.

I found these 1.5 x 1.5 inch squares for the playing pieces on Amazon.

Then you just need paint and a Cricut or friend with one to cut out the template.  I have created one you can use (link in instructions).

Supplies
  • 6 foot 1x8" plank = $2 per tic tac toe board (cut and sanded)
  • 10 playing pieces = $1 per set
  • Non-Permanent Vinyl = $2 per board.  You will need to use the 12x14 mat for this so the vinyl rolls may cost more for you.  Or less if you use Dollar Store cabinet paper like I do!
  • Mod Podge is highly suggested but not required = $.50 of an 8oz bottle used per board
  • Paint I assume you have, so not adding it to the cost.
Total = $5.50 on average per board. More if you need to buy paint or want to include bags.

Instructions

The first step is to cut your 6 foot plank into 14" boards.  You should be able to get 5 boards from it. You will then need to sand them down smooth on one side. I don't have pictures of this step as Nook & Cranny sent it to me already prepped.  The pieces of their kit are shown to the left. You will also need to use the template I created here to cut and weed the vinyl before you get started.


Once you have all your supplies, the first step is to paint your boards on the top and sides.  I just used some farmhouse wall paint samples I had from when I was trying to decide what color to paint my living room. I love the colors and it dries really fast.

 





Once the paint has dried completely, apply the vinyl stencil on the board. It is important to note not to use permanent vinyl for this or it will not peel off cleanly after applying paint.

To prevent bleeding of paint, I highly recommend sealing the edges of the stencil with Mod Podge. It will ensure you have super crisp lines. You don't have to, but be aware your paint may bleed under the vinyl.


I used chalkboard paint for the score keeping squares since I already had it. But I  have made other projects where regularly flat acrylic black paint was used and it still acted like a chalkboard.  Trying using what you have if you don't want to spend the money.



Once all the paint has been applied, I usually wait a few minutes for the paint to begins to dry (but not dry all the way just tacky) to remove the stencil. I have found if you wait until everything is dry, the paint often rips off with the stencil. Just be careful since the paint is still wet and will get everywhere.


While the board is drying, you can work on your playing pieces. Just like the instructions above: apply the vinyl, seal, paint, and then remove the stencil while paint is tacky.


Once everything is dry, you are ready to play!



Like this project or have a suggestion?  Comment below!


Comments

Popular Posts