Lego Tray

I have been meaning to make this for a while and just recently, my son got back into LEGOs, so I dragged out the supplies. It helped him build his creation without getting everything everywhere.  It would also be good for traveling.

I actually made this month's ago but am just now remembering to post about it.  Hopefully I can remember what I did. HAHAHA!

 Supplies

  • Cheap wooden tray.  You can sometimes find these at the dollar store.  I think I got mine at Joann's with a 50% off coupon for around $3.  I also recently saw some at Target for around $7 or less.
  • A piece of scrap wood for the divider if you decide you want a divider.
  • A lego plate that fits snuggly in the tray you purchased. Mine was the 10" x 10" one I think.  They are usually $5.99 at Target and Amazon.
  • Paint and brushes
  • Strong glue
  • Cricut and supplies if you are doing a stencil like me, otherwise you can free hand it for free.
Total Cost: ~ $10

Instructions

Gather your supplies and cut the scrap of wood to the width of your tray.


Using a strong glue (I used gorilla wood glue I had) glue the divider down.  Make sure you put your Lego board in first and drawn a line where the divider should go, so you can put your board back in after it dries.



If you chose to do a stencil like I did, you will want to cut it on the Cricut and then place it on the bare wood.  As I have mentioned on other posts, putting a light layer of Mod Modge on it will make sure the lines are crisp when you remove it after painting but it is not required.

 

Then paint the entire tray and let it dry.  I suggest if you did the stencil, to pull the vinyl off before it is completely to dry to prevent the paint from peeling. 


When you remove the stencil it will look like this.  In hindsight, I should have picked a darker paint so it stood out more. 


Finally, using the glue again, glue the Lego Board down to the tray and let completely dry.



I think it would look cute as a gift that is personalized with the person's name and given with a Lego set to build!  


 




Comments

Popular Posts