Glitter Stemless Wine Glass

The first craft I wanted to do for this blog was a glitter stemless wine glass. They are very popular. What most people don't know is they are actually pretty easy to make on your own and a fun event to host! Depending on how long your event is, you can probably complete it in one night, or your guests may need to take them home to dry.

And most important? You can do it for $5!

I get these very large, study glasses from the Dollar Tree. You can also get sets of them from Walmart, Target, etc. but it will run you a little more that a dollar and honestly? I think the Dollar Tree ones are thicker and nicer.

If you don't already already have glitter around, it is pretty cheap to purchase. I like getting large sets of lots of colors like this one. They come in small tubes which are good for smaller projects and lots of pretty choices. It comes out to around $.30 a tube.

You will also need the DISHWASHER SAFE version of Mod Podge.  Most of the time it is cheaper on Amazon unless you have a craft store coupon.  Make sure you get dishwasher safe even if these are not recommended to be put in the dishwasher (due to the vinyl) you want the glitter to hold up when hand washing. I can get around 10 glasses done with an 8oz bottle, so that is around $.60 worth of product each time.

Finally, if you decide to add a cute little saying and you have a Cricut-like device or a friend with one, there are so many choices! Google it, pick a font, and cut away! If you don't, you can easily get them from Etsy or Facebook Marketplace for around $2.00 each.



Supplies

  • Wine Glass from Dollar Tree = $1
  • Tube of glitter = $.60 per glass
  • Pour of Mod Podge = $.60 per glass
  • Decal if purchased = $2 (less if you do it yourself) per glass
  • Painters (or masking) tape = price not included as I assume you have some around the house
  • Paintbrush = price not included as I assume you always have some handy

Total = $4.20 per glass on average

Instructions

The first step is to prep the glass. I wipe it down with alcohol and then after it dries completely, take a piece of tape and mark off where I want the glitter to be. If you are adding a decal, make sure you leave enough room. Ensure the tape is level all away around and there is a tight seal where the glitter will start.


Now you are ready to apply the glitter. You don't want to dip your paintbrush into the Mod Podge directly. Although your brush may be clean now, it won't be clean for the next few steps and you don't want to contaminate the whole bottle.  You can pour some on a paper plate or I prefer to use these little medicine cups. Either keep them when you are done with your medicine or you can buy a sleeve of 100 pretty cheap.  I just find it easier to use and I can cover it to make sure the extra I poured doesn't dry out between coats.  Do what ever is easiest and cheapest for you!


Just apply a light coat of Mod Podge all around the glass.  Do not glop it on.  Don't worry. If your first coat of glitter is a little light, you can do another coat.



Once you have the Mod Podge on, hold the glass with one hand and slowly shake the glitter on the wet areas, turning the glass as you go. Make sure you do this over some paper or a bowl that you can use to pour the excess glitter back into the tube. You will have a lot of glitter not on the glass and you will want to reuse it. After you are done, take the extra glitter and pour it back into the tube.  Your glass should look like this. I take the tape off immediately so the Mod Podge doesn't dry and stick to the glitter and mess it up later when removed.


The first coat may have bare spots or streaks. That is OK.  Let it dry for about an hour and then do the glitter step again. When I repeat the glitter, I normally do not reapply tape. I am just careful to only apply the Mod Podge to the existing glitter (now that I have a guide). Usually, two layers of glitter is enough.

Let the second layer to dry.  I don't always wait the full hour.  And then apply another layer of Mod Podge to seal it and allow it to dry.  You may need to apply another coat after that if you rub your hand across the glitter and it still comes off.

Finally, I take a little alcohol and napkin again and clean up the loose glitter that is on the sides and bottom of the glass.  Once I am satisfied that the excess glitter is wiped off or sealed on properly, I apply my decal.  I am not going to discuss how to apply the decal.  If you bought it from Etsy, it should come with instructions.  And if you have a Cricut, you know how.  Otherwise, you can YouTube it.

Here is the finished product!



Let the glass dry for 24 hours before handling it.  And you should only hand wash it.  They say wait 30 days for it to cure before washing, but I never have.

All and all, after all the drying time, this project should take around 3-4 hours. Plenty of time to have a few glasses of wine, eat some snacks, and chit chat.

I also love doing this project and then pouring epoxy on it so that it completely seals the glass and the decal will never peel off.  It also pulls the glitter into the epoxy and makes it so pretty.  But epoxy isn't cheap and takes 24 hours; so it wouldn't be good for a party.  One I made with epoxy is below.


Like this product or have suggestions?  Comment below!



Comments

Popular Posts