Baseball Wreath

Things have been a little stressful lately and I have been feeling a little down. I realized I hadn't been finding my happy - crafting. So this weekend, I decided to make something from my Craft Bucket List. Looking around at what I had already available, I settled on a new wreath for the front door. The boys' baseball practices just started back up, so it seemed like the perfect time.

The cost of this is going to vary based on what you have available to you. If you are a baseball ball mom like me, you probably already have tons of used balls laying around. In my case, I had a lot of the rubbery T-ball ones that my boys no longer use. PERFECT! If you have to go out and buy some then you might need to spend around $25 for a dozen. Or, if you aren't in a rush, you can visit your local ball field and look around for lost ones. I can always count on finding a few over the fence, in the tall grass, the ditch, or under a bleacher! And honestly? I like the look of dirty ones over brand news ones anyhow.

Supplies

Metal wreath form from the Dollar Tree = $1
12 baseballs = FREE or more depending on your situation. 
12 screws with large washers = $5 (if you don't already have enough)
Electric drill (screw driver bit)
Any other decorations you want to add and glue - the cost will vary.

The cost for me to make this since I had the balls already? Around $8.

Directions

First determine the number of balls you will need based on the size of the metal wreath form you bought. Sit all the balls around it to make sure you have enough room or if you will need to account for a little space between the balls. If you buy the $1 one at most Dollar Tree stores, you can get 12 balls on it, fitted VERY tightly.


Then, one by one, with an electric drill and screwdriver bit, screw the balls to the form. Below you can see where you position the washer to keep it attached and a picture of how I did it. You will need to make sure your washers are big enough not to fall through the wires. 

Full transparency, since I had never done this I was nervous and asked my husband if he thought I was doing it right. And as usual, he took it and did 90% of it for me. I actually only did the last two balls but trust me, it is easy.  I just took advantage of free labor while I sipped my coffee.

 

Once they are all completely screwed on, you can decorate it any way you want or hang it just like it is if you are a minimalist. I, however, tied ribbons between each ball and put a bow on the top.  All of which I got at the local craft store for 70% off (around $4 total) since it was so close to the 4th of July.


Then, I had a really lightweight blank wood sign that I got from the same craft store for less than a dollar.  I think they even have packs of them at some Dollar Tree stores. I painted it white and added a little "dirt" with brown wax and some red baseball laces with paint I already had on hand. I finished it up with a something I designed myself on my Cricut using vinyl. If you have a Cricut too, you can get the PNG here to use.  Or you can create your own or just paint it. 


Then I glued the sign on. I used gorilla glue but hot glue would work too. We will see how it holds on in this Florida heat!

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back!"

Comments

Popular Posts